Climbing on Mount Kinabalu
Probably one of the most exciting introductions to Sport Climbing on offer anywhere in the world. Mount Kinabalu (4097m), Southeast Asia's highest mountain is home to the world's highest Via Ferrata (3800m). Meaning Iron Road in Italian the Via Ferrata is a mountain route which is equipped with fixed cables, stemples, ladders, and bridges that otherwise would only be accessible to Mountain Climbers.
Mount Kinabalu has an astonishing variety of flora and fauna that ranges over four climate zones; from rich lowland dipterocarp forest through the montane oak, rhododendron, to the coniferous forests, to the alpine meadow plants, and to the stunted bushes and smooth granite of summit zone. The panoramas up here are quite literally breathtaking.
You will have 3 nights at altitude. After learning the basics of rappelling and rope ascending you will be introduced and guided through the Via Ferrata all the way from your base at 3 800m to the summit at Low's Peak.
Kinabalu Park & Pendant Hut
Kinabalu Park provides basic dormitory style accommodation where you will stay the day before and day after your mountain climbing tour. Up the mountain you will stay at Pendant Hut. Located at 3,270m above sea level, Pendant Hut is a cozy, eco-friendly hut with 38 dormitory-style bunk beds.
Day 1: Arrive at Kinabalu Park where you meet you instructor for a briefing on the forthcoming climbing, and itinerary.
Day 2: 0900 Start climb to Pendant Hut at 3250m where you will begin your introduction to Rappelling and Rope ascending.
Day 3: Put your newly learnt skills to the test and walk the torq on the Via Ferrata.
Day 4: Early rise for a hike up to Low's peak, after the sunrises descend from Low's Peak via the Low's Peak Circuit, the world's highest Via Ferrata at 3800m.
Day 5: In the morning start your descent to the accommodation at your lodge, or if you have enough time and energy you can put your rappelling skills to the test before the descent. Meal and Private party with instructor and guides. END OF TOUR
Mountain Torq expert guides will provide you with all the technical safety equipment required, and even sleeping bags! The Via Ferrata was built buy CE certified experts and all the climbing equipment they use is from Europe and is CE certified.
What To Bring
For personal items, here's a checklist of the minimum essential items on that you will need to bring:
- Raincoat or waterproof jacket
- Warm clothing like fleece jacket, hiking pants
- Change of clothes (you may not want to sleep in what you sweat in!)
- Cap / beanie / head scarf (helps prevent heat loss, especially at night, so you can have a more cosy night's rest)
- A small / lightweight towel
- Personal toiletries
- Refillable water bottle
- Torchlight (preferably a head torch)
- Your camera!
- Comfortable covered trail/ hiking shoes
- Energy snacks e.g. chocolate, nuts, biscuits, sweets, energy bars
- Sun protection - Sunglass, sun screen lotion, SPF lip balm (beware of the strong UV rays)
- A small backpack to hold your things
- A rain cover for your backpack
- And of course, AN ADVENTUROUS SPIRIT!
Call our Experts now at (+60) 88 - 251 073,
or use our Contact Form.